Welcoming the Spring Equinox
Welcoming the Spring Equinox
Photos by @j_aime and @luna.khods
The dawn of the Spring Equinox means that Spring is (finally) in the air
March 20 at 5:24pm EDT marks the time when the sun sits directly over the Earth’s celestial equator as it heads northward. Both hemispheres share the sun’s rays equally at the equinox, meaning night and day are roughly the same length. This is a time of equilibrium. Divine balance.
In the Northern Hemisphere this equinox means the beginning of longer days, and welcoming in nature’s rebirth.
There is a sensation of breaking free of the darkness of winter, and ushering in the warmth and light of spring. The spring equinox calls on us to shake off the dormancy and stagnant energy within to make room for renewal
Interestingly, there are several monuments around the world that are built to align with the sun on the spring equinox, (as well as with the summer solstice and winter solstice), including Angkor Wat in Cambodia and Stonehenge in England.
Today we are sharing some of our favorite rituals to welcome in this time of year:
1. Spring Cleaning, Cleansing and Decluttering – pairs well with View Master for focus and energy
As we shake off the energy of winter, many of us are called to clean, organize and declutter our homes and spaces, to cleanse energy or objects that no longer serve us
Taking care of your space, is in turn taking care of yourself!
This might look like:
- Deep cleaning: This might be the time to tackle some of those deep clean projects you have been putting off. Keep in mind this deep cleaning and cleansing doesn’t have to happen all at once
Cleaning and organizing by zones or areas of the home can make this feel more achievable without overwhelming us
- Decluttering! Spring is the perfect opportunity to declutter and purge. Are there items that have been collecting dust since last Spring? Check in: do these objects spark joy? If not, donate, recycle, or upcycle them for someone else’s use
- Smoke cleansing: light incense or a candle, or burn a bundle of dried herbs such as rosemary, cedar, or mugwort. Choose plants that you have grown yourself or that grow wild nearby. If you are wild foraging, be mindful never take more than 1/3rd, seek consent and leave an offering when you do.
2. Mindful Walking: we suggest pairing with Boomerang for energy and connection to nature
Just as mindfulness is the practice of bringing your attention to the present moment, mindful walking is the practice of becoming aware of your surroundings and how your body and mind feel while moving. Meditation doesn’t always have to be practiced in stillness, and being present and aware of your surroundings allows you to slow down and truly honour the abundance of signs of spring around you.
How to practice mindful walking:
Begin walking at a natural pace.
As you walk, become aware of your breathing.
Be aware of how and where your feet touch the ground, the lifting and falling of each foot
Become aware of your legs and hips as you move, notice any shifting from side to side
Become aware of your arms swinging as you walk.
Notice how the air and the suns warmth feels against your skin
Bring awareness to the sounds, colours, shapes and natural beauty around you
3. Shower Ritual from @whimsysoul.
We suggest Lite Brite for this shower magic to soothe any anxiety or stress, and uplift your overall mood.
You Will Need:
- A clean shower (bonus points if you have plants in your shower)
- Fresh rosemary, lavender, or eucalyptus bundle
- Your favourite water-safe crystals, such as clear quartz or rose quartz
In this experience, you’ll be taking a shower to cleanse yourself and start anew. You might want to start by physically cleaning the shower so that you’re truly starting fresh, but this is totally optional. We suggest taking everything out of the shower and doing a good spring cleaning to the walls and corners, and reorganizing any tools or products. Make your shower a sacred space.
When you’re ready, hang the bundle of fresh herbs over the shower head so that the water runs directly through it or just so the steam activates it. You might want to turn on some gentle music, light candles, or place your favorite crystals around the shower or bathroom. Mindfully undress, listening to the water run as it heats up, and bringing your attention to your physical self. Take a few deep breaths to ground into your body and the moment
Step into the shower and notice as the water runs over each part of your body. Feel it on your skin as you wash, giving your attention to this moment. Find the pleasure and relaxation in just being here with yourself for a little while. Breathe in the fresh, clean scent of the herbs and feel the air in your lungs.
When you feel refreshed, turn the water to cool and rinse yourself from head to toe, imagining that the water is washing away the past year, any challenges you’ve struggled with, and any negative energy that might be clinging to you. The water rinses it all away, carrying it down the drain.
Shut the water off and step out, renewed.
Let us know how you will celebrate the dawn of Spring!
Happy Spring from all of us at Team Sero!