Cacao: food of the Gods
Cacao: food of the Gods
Cacao, also known as food of the gods, is an ancient plant medicine. Cacao is the seed from which cocoa and chocolate are made, from Spanish cacao, an adaptation of Nahuatl cacaua, the root form of cacahuatl (“bean of the cocoa-tree”).
Our Cacao Star Bar is mindfully and intentionally created containing Ceremonial Grade Cacao from our partners Cacao Source in Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Our handcrafted, vegan friendly and gluten free bars honour the source of the ingredients at every step of the way. This premium chocolate experience combines the beauty of nature with a sprinkling of magic.
Whether used for ceremony, mind expansion, journeys to other realms or to uplift your day, our Cacao Star Bar is made for exploring self-awareness and conscious capacity.
Take one square for a microdose or more for a deeper journey.
What is Ceremonial Cacao?
Ceremonial Cacao is made from heirloom strains of Cacao from Central and South America. Unlike conventional Cacao or cocoa powder, Ceremonial Cacao has not been defatted and is minimally processed under low temperatures to maximize its health benefits.
What makes Cacao Ceremonial Grade?
To be considered ceremonial grade, Cacao must fulfill the following requirements:
- It must be raised sustainably, using regenerative practices. If it is raised and processed by the traditional methods, it meets this requirement.
- It must be equitable. There must be fair pricing for the farmers and labor justice for everyone involved in the value chain.
- It must be addressed with the intention of ceremonial use. At all steps, the values of sacred reciprocity must be upheld.
- It must be used with respect. Acknowledgement of the ancient Indigenous lineage of Cacao for ceremony is central to its ethical use in modern context.
Cacao Source’s mission is to provide ethically sourced cacao while also supporting local farmers, women’s collectives and environmental sustainability initiatives
“Every product we share is traceable to a single origin.
We source Cacao from three distinct regions– the Suchitepequez on the Pacific front, Alta Verapaz in central north Guatemala, and Izabal on the Caribbean front.
We find isolated Mayan forest garden communities that grow rare strains of Cacao.
When they meet our criteria of quality, organic soils, fair wages to their workers, and agreement with our revitalization program, We invite them into the Cacao Source family.
We do this instead of buying from enormous plantations or big distributing corporations, as many Cacao/chocolate businesses do.
When creating your ceremonial Cacao batch, we never mix the origins. Every Source has its distinct aromas, qualities, and story.
We are building a bridge between Cacao enthusiasts and the communities that cultivate and process the medicine. We both inform Cacao lovers all over the world about the very precise origins, contexts, and identities behind their Cacao, but also letting each farming community gain awareness about all the people they are sending the fruit of their labor to.
We care for the Source just as much as you do.”
To learn more about the ancient origins of Cacao and Cacao ceremonies, we suggest watching this 10 minute documentary about it’s origins in Guatemala
What are the benefits of consuming Cacao?
Cacao contains powerful vitamins, minerals and nutrients
- Magnesium – supporting heart health, relaxing the muscles, the joints the nervous system and optimal brain health
- Tryptophan – a pre cursor to serotonin, the combination of magnesium and tryptophan supports serotonin release in the brain. Mood elevating compounds anandamide and tryptophan allow you to access deeper states of euphoria and relaxation.
- Theobromine – vasodilator, blood vessels to relax and blood flow is stimulated
- Minerals necessary for overall body wellbeing: calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, beta-carotene, omega 6 fatty acids, and amino acids.
The unique compounds in Cacao allow for simultaneous relaxation and heightened awareness, as well as increased creativity. By stimulating the heart center, Cacao further aids in creating a sense of openness for expansion and Love.
If you have questions about Ceremonial Grade Cacao or how to incorporate our Cacao Star Bar into your routine and rituals please feel free to reach out
All our love always,